Thursday, February 10, 2011

Say What?

                Have you ever been in a supermarket and seen a customer yelling at the cashier? I would probably guess that many have because I know that it is a common occurrence in stop and shop. The one thing that bothers me about people yelling at the cashier is that most of the time the problem is not the cashier’s fault. The only thing that can really be the cashier’s fault is if they ring something more than once. If the price is wrong, it is not the cashier’s fault; it is the computer system. Yet, that seems to be something that many customers cannot understand and they chose to get angry with the cashier. The following story is one of the oddest things I have seen that is an example of a customer getting mad at the cashier.
            I was at work one day and I was on register ringing up my customer, then all of a sudden I hear some sort of commotion going on at the register in front of me. I looked up to check it out and I could not believe what was going on. Apparently an item did not ring up the proper price and the woman was angry. The cashier was trying her best to remain calm and quiet the woman down, but this woman was relentless. She was screaming and yelling and complaining about the store, the service, the products, and everything else that came to her mind that had displeased her about our store. I finished up the order that I was doing and went over to the register to see if I could help the situation and maybe calm the woman down a bit.
 As I approached the register the woman’s voice grew even louder and scarier. But, this time I was not able to make out any words that she was saying. It seemed as if she was chanting or calling to the Gods. It was really odd to witness and I was confused on what the woman was doing. After a few minutes she finally calmed down and the cahier was able to finish ringing up the rest of her order. We even ended up giving the woman the item for free.
The scary and odd part about this story is that as the woman went to leave she turned to us and told all of us to watch out and be prepared for the curse that she had put on the store. I was a bit confused, but then realized that she really must have been doing a chant when I thought she was. I dismissed the fact that there was any curse on the store and finished up the rest of my shift shaking my head every time I thought of what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment