Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Lost Keys

The following post is nothing too funny, but when it happened I thought to myself “this is going in the blog.” The funny part of the story is how it ended because the customer’s daughter was so angry and demanding; that it is ironic how it all played out.
            I was working the customer service desk last weekend and a looked at the next person in line and asked “how can I help you?” All she said was “I think I am going to need a manager.” I was a bit confused, and I thought I was about to get yelled at or something because the woman seemed to be a little tense about something. So I asked her what the problem was and she told me “My mother was in here shopping yesterday and the person in front of her in line stole her keys.” I just looked at the woman, but in my mind I was thinking of how she knew it was the person in front of her and why she is telling me. So I told her I am sorry that happened and said that I do not know who was in front of her mother so I cannot help much.
            The woman then told me that I have a computer that I can look up the customers on and see what order they went through which register. So I can use the information that is on her mother’s receipt and track down who is the woman in front of her was and then I can call her and ask for the keys back. I was a bit taken back because I do not have any type of system like that at all, and I did not like how she was telling me what I could and could not do like she knew. “I wish I had a system like that to help” I said to her and explained how I do not have anything that can look that up. So she asked me to call down the manager and I did.
            He told her, again, that we do not have a system that can look that sort of information up, but that headquarters did. So he took down her information and took the receipt so that he had the time and register number that she went to. The woman left, just a bit happier.
            About an hour later I see the manager walk to the register that the woman was on and lift up the belt. To my surprise he pulled out the woman’s keys. I started to chuckle a little to myself and I asked him how he figured out that the keys were there. He said he had watched the security tape and saw the cashier put them on the belt and they fell through. So he gave me the keys and the woman’s number and I called her to let her know we had her keys. She showed up two hours later to get them.
I think that this was funny because the woman was so angry and flustered about her mother’s keys, while the mother just stood there quiet and calm. Then she accused the person in front of her mother in line without proof, which I found funny because it is usually the person behind you in line that takes your keys. Then at the end of it all, the keys were under the register belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment